Friday, September 4, 2009

4 Sep 2009

This is a new experience for and old man and I am proceeding with caution. I want this blog to be about the beauty that I see in my everyday life. We have evolved into a nation where forces of evil approach us from every direction, either through outright greed or simply for a desire to destroy the greatest nation on earth, I don't know which, probably both. What I do know is that the constant bombardment of of negative comments, ideas, and rhetoric coming through our media is enough to depress even the most positive of individuals.
Therefore this blog is to point out the positive that I see in my life and hope to share with you. I want to impress upon you that after spending a considerable amount of time (three years) in the various countries of Europe and another three years in the Caribbean, Central and South America, I have come to the conclusion that there is no greater country than the United States of America, in spite of all her little frailties. I think everyone should be required to spend some time outside the boundaries of this country in order to gain an appreciation for the freedoms and advantages that we enjoy here. There must be a positive reason for so many people violating our borders just to get into this nation.
Now about the blog, for 60 plus years it has been my job, both as a vocation and an avocation,.... to see. To see what goes on around me and around you. To see the good and to see the bad, although the bad is most often reported. I have chosen for the most part at least for the last 30 yeas to see the good and the beautiful. I am a photographer. Not the world's greatest although I can name a lot of them, and have tried to emulate many of them to varying degrees of success. Neither am I the world's worst photographer, if there is one. But because of this passion for photography that developed at about age ten I have developed the ability to see.
When I was some where near the middle of my career about 30 years ago, I had entered a number of photographs of my work in an art show in our local area. My wife and I were standing off to the side watching the people come and go and listening to their comments when three middle aged ladies walked up. Looking at my work one of them stated, "I recognize this photographer's work, He photographs the beauty in the things we see each day but never take the time to look at". That statement has defined the last 30 years of my life. I am a photographer.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are the best photographer ever dad!! I don't think I have ever seen a picture you have taken that I haven't liked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what Valorie said Marshall. Not only are you a very talented photographer, but as I remember, David worked in your studio in Kenmare too for a while. So it seems to me that the ability to "see" must run in your family.

    ReplyDelete